Friday, July 3, 2009

Home Sweet (New) Home

Apparently this is the great summer of homecomings. Dad got to go to the hotel last Saturday. It's not quite going home, but it's a hell of a lot more home-like than the hospital. And considering they've been in Chicago for so many months, the hotel is a temporary home. I've talked to my folks, and it sounds like the worst is over. It's been weeks of hell, but the greatest danger has passed. It will be a long time before my dad's immune system fully recovers, but it's heading in that direction. Both my parents are dead tired, and there is a lot left to be done. But we'll take the good news and keep going one day at at time.

As for other homecomings, Craig and I have decided it's time to get our own place. Several things factored into this decision- such as getting engaged and my desire to be closer to school. Is it really safe to drive 30 miles at 11pm after a 3.5 hour accounting final? I think not! Of course, I also don't think it's really safe to take an accounting final at all.

It's been a whirlwind. In the last two weeks, we decided to get a place, went apartment hunting, and signed a lease. The manager seems really nice- a vast improvement from the one place we showed up at for our 10am appointment, and they asked us to come back Monday. Our new places is a lovely 1 bedroom 1 loft with a rooftop pool, little fireplace, dishwasher and beautiful high ceilings. While Craig and I were originally going to each take a room (which is how we've been living), we might make the upstairs the bedroom with a loung/den of inequity downstairs. The neighborhood is only a little sketchy, but the parking is locked and gated. I'm very excited, though a bit nervous about fitting in a move with school resuming in a week... Housewarming party to come.


I was dying of anxiety to tell the roomies, since finding new roommates for them could be a pain. I was truly dreading the moment of, "Hey guys, we're getting our own place." But my fears were unnecessary. They pretty much said, "Ok. Thanks for the notice." Fortunately, with the odd way our rent was set up in the middle of the month, we're paid through mid-August. So that at least give them time to find other peeps. Just goes to show that worrying doesn't solve things, and often just wastes energy.




2 comments:

  1. Yay! It looks so cute! I am really happy to hear you guys found a place. Van Nuys? That's actually (still) pretty close to me (at least the right side of the Valley)! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you got the place you were excited about. We look forward to seeing it!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete